Midland Terminal Car number 29, or, originally, Colorado Midland Car number one-eleven was built for the Colorado Midland Railway by the Pullman Company in 1887. Originally built as a first-class coach, it was rebuilt in June of 1905 as a parlor-observation car. In 1909 it was reclassified as an observation chair car, and the seats were replaced with reclining chair seats. In 1913, a vestibule was added.
The Colorado Midland Railway was built from Colorado Springs, up Ute Pass to South Park and then to Leadville. From there it continued to Grand Junction and Aspen via the Hagerman Tunnel and, later, the Busk-Ivanhoe Tunnel.
The Colorado Midland ceased operation in 1920. The Midland Terminal Railroad then acquired the car and renumbered it 29. In 1949, the car was sold to Arthur B. Hall of Albuquerque, New Mexico. He sold the car to the Colorado Railroad Museum in 1960.
Car 111 was primarily used on the daily train between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek. It was also used for special wild flower excursions. Beginning in the 1890s, an extra summer train was run on Thursdays from Colorado Springs to Spinney. After picking up passengers along the route and then allowing passengers to detrain at Florissant to look for fossils, the train would proceed to Eleven-Mile Canyon – at an elevation of 8,600 feet -- where it would stop next to a field of wildflowers. Passengers would then disembark and enjoy time in the great outdoors. The trip would take about three hours. Before starting on the return trip, a photographer would take a group picture of the passengers on and behind the observation platform – and, after developing his plates in the baggage car and making prints, would have those prints for sale to the disembarking passengers on the platform of the station back in Colorado Springs. The wildflower excursions, geared primarily toward Colorado Springs tourists, gained such popularity that the trains went from being weekly extras to daily extras and ultimately became scheduled daily trains, appearing in the railroad timetable.
The Colorado Midland Railway had, in its time, the most modern of passenger cars: Woods such as mahogany and oak were used on paneling and window sashes. Seats were upholstered in maroon and old gold plush. The cars were illuminated by Pintsch illuminating gas. The washrooms boasted marble washstands. High in the clerestory, the glass was embossed. Originally painted Pullman green with gold lettering, the car was later painted tuscan red or maroon with gold trim. The car is 55’ 8” long and comfortably seats 36 passengers.